Excellence in Online Teaching provides Penn State faculty with a pathway for ongoing professional development. Building on courses in our certificates and utilizing your online teaching experiences, the program creates a step-up approach to continuous learning.
There are three distinct levels: Essential, Exemplary, and Excellent. Completion of the first level steps you up into the second level, and so on. Like our certificate offerings, each step-up indicates a higher level of proficiency. Progression through the steps occurs with collaboration with your faculty adviser.
- Foundations for Online Teaching Certificate
- Evidence of effective teaching of two academic online courses
- Professional Development Plan 1
Exemplary (completion of Essential plus)
- Two courses in Instructional Practice
- Two courses in The Learner and Learning
- Two courses in Professional Practice
- Evidence of effective teaching of four academic online courses beyond “Essential” designation (total of six)
- Professional Development Plan 2
Excellent (completion of Exemplary plus)
- Three certificates
- Evidence of effective teaching four academic online courses beyond “Exemplary” designation (total of ten)
- Formal teaching evaluation
- Professional Development Plan 3